At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
The Learning Designer (LD) is responsible for the analysis and design of content for an assigned academic discipline and course curricula. This role is responsible for iterative, data driven, high quality content strategy through internal collaboration, industry research, and end-user feedback and analysis. The LD works to accomplish their goals in alignment with the business unit roadmap and strategy, discipline team product strategy, and Cengage standards and best practices. As a member of a cross-functional discipline team, the LD shares responsibility for student advocacy and strategic leadership, drives fresh conversations about creating great experiences for students, and brings expertise in instructional design to solve implementation challenges.
· Owns strategy for quality assessment and learning design for assigned products and discipline(s) by creating design plans and related documentation.
· Researches, analyzes, designs, and reviews learning curricula and content with product team
· Measures existing learning experience against quantitative and qualitative metrics to evaluate impact of current content strategy and product pedagogy/design
· Serves as the advocate for the learner on the discipline team to ensure continuous improvement of products and learner outcomes.
· Acts as a self-directed learner to stay up-to-date on digital learning, learning science, and pedagogical trends and methodologies via classroom visits, conferences, conducting research, etc.
· Participates in the ongoing improvement of learning curriculum design standards, resources, processes and approaches at Cengage
• Successful experience working with content and designing/creating different types of learning
• Demonstrated content leadership of product and/or process redesign related to learning experiences
• Ability to apply learning science and e-learning methodologies to assigned products, courses and disciplines
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including analysis, persuasion, influence, and focused information sharing.
• Ability to create a learning design plan that maps to defined market needs, learning objectives, and other quantitative and qualitative data.
• Passionate commitment to Cengage Ethos including student success (Putting the Learner First), innovation (Setting the Bar Higher), candor and accountability (Being Candid), taking risks and comfort with change (Embracing the Unknown), and collaborative problem solving (Doing more together).
• HIGHLY PREFERRED: Educational or professional background in instructional design, or master’s level education with some curriculum development or teaching experience.