At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
Accountable for hiring and developing talent to effectively manage the on-time delivery of high-quality content for Cengage’s digital platforms. Plans and manages the resources and activities of a Digital Production team and its vendors, optimizing quality, resource efficiency, scale, and time to market. Collaborates with Product, Content, Platform, QA and other key stakeholders to ensure team deliverables are prioritized against business strategy and revenue goals and Digital Production staff are effectively performing within their cross-functional teams.
What You’ll Do Here:
· Talent Development: Manage and develop Digital Production staff. Collaborate with Functional Manager peers to promote cross-functional team health and escalate concerns. Clearly set expectations and seek out and act on stakeholder feedback to improve individual and department performance. Routinely evaluate and discuss performance status, progress against goals, and opportunities for growth with staff. Frequently communicate with staff to reinforce effective behaviors, promptly and candidly address performance issues, and provide mentoring or training. Facilitate the strategic expansion of business and technical skills that optimize and enhance the performance of individuals and the department.
· Resource Allocation: Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and successfully onboarding new team members. Proactively monitor resource allocation needs, reassign under-utilized resources and escalate additional resource needs or right-sizing recommendations. Establish and execute transition planning and training programs.
· Product Delivery: Accountable for the successful performance of Digital Production staff tasked with delivering high-quality digital products on time and within budget and specifications. Proactively resolve conflicts in priorities and resources, with input from key partners and stakeholders. Monitor product pipeline to identify, communicate, and address budget and product delivery risks. Manage digital production workflows, ensuring that best practices are followed across the department and processes are documented and communicated.
· Cultural Leadership: Embody the Cengage culture and champion the ethos and common approaches. Advocate change and use a variety of strategies and tactics to support and reinforce change initiatives and to maintain and bolster team morale and performance through times of change.
· Department & Cross-Functional Initiatives: Support Digital Production leadership in informing and executing department-wide initiatives to drive scale, efficiency, and quality. Collaborate closely with leadership on assignment of work to resources tasked with the development or improvement of workflow and tools to ensure continued advancement of digital product delivery. Fearlessly question the status quo, engage in creative problem solving, commit to piloting innovate workflows, embrace the unknown, and take calculated risks. Champion new and improved processes and technologies and collaborate with other leaders as needed to define, leverage and implement digital delivery best practices.
· Vendor Management: Have overall accountability for the efficiency, effectiveness, and quality of Digital Production vendors for an assigned discipline or course area. Provide recommendations, input, and approval for Strategic Sourcing decisions, including new, expanded, and changing vendor programs. Collaborate with Strategic Sourcing, Legal and Finance to create Requests for Proposals (RFPs), Statements of Work (SOW) and other contractual vendor documents.
· Perform additional responsibilities as needed to achieve business goals.
· Have a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of relevant education and 5 years of relevant work experience.
· Have a minimum 3 years of management experience or equivalent demonstrated experience leading, coaching, and training staff who manage technical projects within strict deadlines and budgets.
· Show a passion for the educational technology industry and drive towards results
· Possess effective problem-solving and critical thinking skills; able to predict, identify, and resolve issues in a timely and effective manner.
· Ability to coach a team through change management around technology, process, and procedures in an environment of continuous improvement.
· Have a proven ability to use discretion when working with or in possession of sensitive or confidential information.
· Show a demonstrated ability to effectively inform and/or manage budgets and the allocation of staff resources across multiple projects and/or on a program level.
· Have experience initiating, leading, and overseeing process improvement initiatives.
· Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate confidently, effectively, and diplomatically with technical and non-technical staff, vendors, and senior management; Proven ability to calmly and effectively discuss and represent unpopular or controversial topics and perspectives.
· Have a demonstrated ability to understand and apply technical concepts and communicate with technical staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
· Experience managing remote resources and staff in geographically dispersed areas.
· Experience with Cengage products, policies, processes, platforms, markets and competitors.