The chosen candidate would be an experienced leader drawing on his/her multi-disciplinary experiences and extensive exposure to technology solutions. A self-starter, the role will require the candidate to acquire an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the organization, specifically the long-term strategic objectives of all stakeholders, and working closely with executive management team. This position is a management role, part leader and part doer, and will suit a candidate with proven problem-solving skills. The chosen candidate will lead the development of strategic roadmap, implement technology solutions and develop the team to support our strategy.
This position will have the following broad responsibilities:
Know the Business User:
Know their workflows, needs, pain points, value drivers, decision making process, unstated intent and goals.
- Identify the key users who will drive or enable business growth
- Develop firm understanding of, and clearly articulate the target users' workflows
- Understand their goals, value drivers, and unstated intent
- Document user decision making process and relative importance of decision criteria
- Understand the role of the systems they use and how emerging technology can enable their drivers and goals; determine where technology solutions can solve pain points vs. process improvements
- Work in collaboration to develop solutions to their key pain points, including documenting requirements, determining feasibility, determining roadmaps and troubleshooting as needed
- Understand and articulate how GTS strategy impacts business customer workflows, project requests
- Ability to distill customer needs into key requirements that are aligned to corporate and GTS strategic priorities
Know our business:
Understand our business context – mission, strategy, competitive differentiators, corporate performance indicators, business resources.
- Understand and articulate overarching business priorities and how their work ladders up to Cengage Strategy
- Seek or define clarification for area of business strategy that are unclear (make and confirm documented assumptions to allow progress to be made)
- Document the articulation of our platform and workflow specific competitive differentiators and disadvantages
- Work with customers to prioritize builds that further the overall corporate strategy
Make bold business decisions:
Decisions that will move us forward while understanding the business risks associated with them and implications for all other stakeholders (Product, Digital Production, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Legal, HR, Engineering, Architects etc.).
- Define creative solutions to key user needs that advance our strategy
- Clearly balance the 'reusability/scale' considerations with decisions that delivery value for the specific priority discipline/program at hand
- Make decisions that advance the overall business strategy and explicitly evaluate and mitigate the risks associated
- Clearly evaluate the following when making decisions:
- Alignment to overall corporate strategic priorities
- Actively manage the technology risk, debt and non-functional requirements as part of the business roadmap
Be an Integrator:
Lead cross-functionally at all levels. Push information and drive understanding of the strategy and path of execution.
- Maintain an open and updated and prioritized backlog that has a clearly understandable set of user intent / value stories
- Actively communicate and manage relationship with all relevant stakeholders (Technology Solution Partners, Technical Product Manager, Engineering and Architecture teams, Leadership Team, GTS Leadership Team)
- Understand and owns decision that impact other Cengage stakeholders and users
- Define and create training for other team members in areas of skill and knowledge in which they excel
Know our platforms and systems:
Demonstrate foundational understanding of our systems and architecture – importantly how they impact our decision-making process.
- Demonstrate foundational understanding of internal systems and architecture
- Make decisions based on an understanding the architectural roadmap and the tradeoffs implied by that
- Internalize and be able to articulate the implications of the system level diagram / relationships on the program / EPIC at hand
Own and Lead the business roadmap and macro business processes:
Understand the overall business technology roadmap and how the business operates (i.e. macro business processes).
- Manage, prioritize and execute on the business roadmap through detailed user stories and excellent cross functional communication / project management
- Make time personally and for the team to invest in planning the next build cycle during the current build cycle
- Communicate vision, strategy, and business value effectively to technical team & stakeholders
- Maintain a clearly documented articulation of 'the why' and makes sure that the user imperative and goal of each story and epic is understood by the team and relevant stakeholders
- Develop other requirements artifacts (thin slice, process maps/flows etc.) to support the development process
- Successful delivery of software development projects
- Maintain scope and meeting established timelines
- Effectively manage and groom backlog, with sufficient lead time for team to plan the work
- Demonstrates proactive ownership of problems until they find a clear solution
- Consistently deliver planned roadmap value
- Proactively manage interdependencies across teams