At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
The Product Data Manager will serve as the end-to-end owner of product data across Cengage’s product data systems and throughout the product lifecycle: from product inception, to setup and maintenance of product data, to ensuring timely availability of products in Cengage Unlimited and on cengage.com. In addition to managing product data, the Manager will be the single point of accountability for the timeliness and correctness of product data. They will work cross-functionally across the organization to identify and resolve issues related to product data. The PDM will also be responsible for gathering, synthesizing, and analyzing product data from multiple product data systems using various data analysis tools (Excel, Access, Showcase, etc.) to ensure product data integrity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Serve as the E2E owner and single point of accountability for product setup, ISBN creation, and data maintenance for Cengage print and digital products across all product data systems. Follow established guidelines and ensure quality control of product data throughout the lifecycle of products.
2. Continuously translate overall product requirements into correct and timely product data in all CL product data systems, ensuring product team, legal, and finance requirements are reflected in product setup.
3. Critically analyze product data across all systems as product strategy evolves. Execute on findings of analyses by updating individual or multiple products in all systems and ensure information is accurate.
4. Develop expert knowledge of internal systems, practices, policies, product team needs, and strategic direction. Communicate with Product Managers, Pod members, Technology, Finance, Customer Service, Legal, and Marketing to understand and meet those stakeholders’ needs for data maintenance.
5. Proactively investigate and resolve product data errors and exceptions. Perform data reconciliations across data systems to identify and resolve data problems.
6. Work in a team of Product Data Managers. Attend regular team meetings and contribute to best practices, training, and information sharing across team.
7. Act as Subject Matter Expert on special projects related to data maintenance and new product setup. Participate in the design, testing, and implementation of new processes and updated to product data systems.
• BA/BS degree or at least 5 years business experience
• Aptitude for data and ability to manipulate and manage large quantities of data
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of systems, particularly MS Excel
• Outstanding organizational skills and a very strong attention to detail
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Proven commitment to providing excellent customer service; demonstrated willingness to take ownership of customer issues and see them through to resolution
• Proactive problem solving and critical thinking skills with a focus on getting it right
• Motivated self-starter who can work both independently and as part of the respective pods
• Ability to coordinate/interact across teams and manage relationships with all levels throughout organization
• Expert project manager with an ability to track projects and efficiently manage time
• Flexibility in changing times, willing to shift and adapt to new processes and policies
• Experience in MS Access, Showcase, or other data analysis tools