At Cengage, we're harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals. As a Cengage employee, you'll be helping to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you'll feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. Together, there's no limit to what we can imagine, create and innovate!
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and points of view to the table every day. We're curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education for the better. Most importantly, we put learning first with everything we do. We also offer a fun, challenging, and rewarding environment with the opportunity to work with some of the most talented people in our industry.
Cengage’s Software Development Engineers in Test (SDET) are primarily responsible for ensuring that systems and projects are working as designed and required, with the highest level of quality. In this position, you’ll take a lead role in the design, development and implementation of automated tools and test infrastructure we use for validating features and interfaces, working in conjunction with members of our development, production and product management teams to ensure the timely delivery of scalable quality services. These tests will focus on Unit, Functional & Performance tests that can be run as standalone suits or a part of a Continuous Integrated Framework (CIF). Although you will not have direct management or leadership responsibilities, you will be encouraged to take part in defining directions and setting goals.
• Analyze requirements and designs to assist Development in the design process, with a view of the overall project.
• Demonstrate competency with agile and test-driven quality assurance and software development concepts.
• Manage the creation and development of project specific Test Strategies, also assisting with Quality Assurance Analyst (analysis) responsibilities for major releases.
• Provide reliable and accurate task estimates for assigned work without necessary review.
• Implement fundamental automation, test tools, and/or SQA process for assigned projects/systems.
• Document test cases thoroughly, and provide feedback to development on technical documentation (other engineers may use this documentation as a guideline for testing and training).
• Assist in the review of technical documentation by working closing with Development teams.
• Regress complicated bugs in existing systems, and help troubleshooting live issues, as needed.
• Coordinate the communication of bug resolution as well as occasionally hosting bug triages to help determine priority.
• Conduct automation and test tool code reviews, as well as test plan reviews for Engineers and other SDET’s.
• Collaborate on development and technical design discussions
• Take initiative in seeking out opportunities to identify and deal with issues within the systems you have responsibility for, as well as the systems others, as needed.
• Contribute to SQA policy-making discussions as needed.
• Assist in mentoring junior engineers, helping them understand best practices, proprietary technology, new technology and methods.
• 5 to 8 years of experience working in an agile software engineering or TDD & BDD quality assurance role.
• BA/BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience.
• Exposure to other languages (e.g. PHP, Groovy, C#, Ruby or Perl) and tools (e.g. SoapUI, Zephyr or Eclipse IDE).
• Experience working with QA tools (we use Protractor, Selenium, Cypress and JIRA).
• Expert knowledge of SQL (MySQL), Linux/Unix.
• Strong understanding of Performance Testing & Security Testing (theory and why they’re important), Accessibility & Cross Browser Testing
• Demonstrable experience and capacity to develop and maintain multiple systems concurrently (test strategies, test cases/plans, and tools).
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction.