As a Senior Systems Engineer at Cengage, you'll focus on the operations of our cloud- and terrestrial-based application and database platforms, supporting agile application development teams in provisioning, monitoring, response, and management.
In this role, you will also have responsibility for leading efforts for application integration and troubleshooting infrastructure in a complex application environment; managing dependencies for services, platforms, and other applications within the Cengage Learning infrastructure.
- Develop solutions, lead projects and provide consultative assistance to application teams in leveraging automation and tools for continuous improvement of application provisioning, deployments, and monitoring.
- Lead virtual teams in defining and implementing solutions with external and internal cloud services features such as elastic capacity auto-scaling, elastic load balancing, right-sizing, disaster recovery strategies, and tiered storage.
- Implement platform best practices for our application teams and assist them in engaging these processes.
- Support platform operating environments: Linux (RHEL/CentOS); Apache httpd; and databases – MySQL, Cassandra, MongoDB.
- Assist application teams in leveraging platform features, tuning, and troubleshooting for best application performance.
- Assist in development and implementation of security best practices and initiatives at the platform level, including regular patching and middleware updates, and remediation of vulnerability scan outputs.
- Act as engineering support for incidents, engaging a third-party support organization, as well as application teams and our cloud services provider for troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Ensure maximum uptime of on-prem and cloud hosted environments, including production, staging, testing, authoring, and development environments.