At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
A Product Manager is the expert in their market, the visionary for their discipline, the problem solver for the learner, and the leader of their product team across Cengage. You are accountable for the entire lifecycle of your products. You create your product strategy by developing hypotheses, evaluating data, analyzing market and competitive trends, testing ideas in the market, iterating, and ultimately making product decisions based on evidence and insights. While keeping in alignment with business priorities, you take customer needs from concept to launch, focusing on timely delivery, holistic product quality, and an effective learning experience.
To achieve these goals, you are an integrator, leading a cross-functional team by fostering a creative and collaborative environment aligned toward a collective mission. You are consistently problem solving, bringing the team together, and actively considering the expertise of all pod members. You are ultimately accountable for the success of your products.
This position will be managing products that serve College Success and Communication Arts courses.
Skills you will need here:
You must demonstrate success at leading a team with a shared vision, facilitating effective communication, creating trust and ensuring on-time project delivery. You need to balance experience, market knowledge, and data-driven insights to make impactful decisions and long-term plans. It is important to leverage your own curiosity and the curiosity of teammates to create solutions. You are accountable for delivering a high-quality learning experience that delights students and instructors.
· Develops a clear understanding of the Cengage ethos and embodies these attributes
· Seasoned relationship builder with high integrity who successfully influences stakeholders and empowers team to creatively develop differentiated features
· Structures operational and strategic initiatives by developing work plans, gathering and synthesizing relevant data, leading analyses and executing recommendations
· Ultimately accountable for overarching holistic product strategy to which all product team members will contribute in specific ways through clear deliverables based on expertise
· Develops, executes and iterates product and portfolio strategy based on deep market mastery – trends, customer needs and challenges, and competitive landscape, and aligned with overall corporate strategic direction to deliver desired business metrics
· Provides team leadership as an integrator across a functional unit team, bringing the team together toward a unified strategy and a common mission
· Utilizes excellent project management skills, organization, and clear communication to drive decision-making and progress throughout product development lifecycle in coordination with a project manager and/or content manager
· Sets clear objectives and timelines for achieving milestones to release a product to market on time and within scope
· Work in partnership with authors, learning design, content production, technology, marketing, and sales specialists to ensure successful launch, positioning, and delivery of the product line to the marketplace
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Minimum 3 years in product management, marketing, strategic pricing, product development, brand management, consulting, or other relevant management role
· Cross-functional team management and leadership experience
· A fierce commitment to driving results in the pursuit of unselfish goals
· Excellent at developing and articulating vision and strategy that meet business goals
· Collaborative problem solving and working style to drive change through influence; honed interpersonal skills
· Self-disciplined with a high degree of accountability and personal urgency
· Strong financial analysis and modeling skills and an understanding of business metrics
· Natural curiosity and willingness to learn paired with a desire for continuous improvement
· Demonstrated writing and verbal presentation skills enabling her/him to prepare and present information and recommendations to a diverse and often senior audience
· Expected travel 20% of time
· Proficient with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Master’s Degree
· 3 years minimum cross-functional team management experience
· Experience bringing new technology products to market
· Experience with agile development processes and recurring release cycles